It is Holy Thursday (another holiday in Manila). This year, I have promised that I will join the Penetential Walk.
Bisita Iglesia, is a Filipino tradition that is believed to be a form of penitence during the lenten season. In this tradition, you will be traveling to 14 churches and pray solemnly each station between churches...basically, hopping from one church to another, enduring everything and praying. It was my first time to really walk from one church to another... In the past I have joined my aunties in the Bisita Iglesia, and we usually travel by car.
My boyfriend and I went to Blumentritt at 6am. First stop, the San Roque church. We then went to Espritu Santo Parochial Church in Tayuman (It was in the ESPS also here that my honey's alma mater - Elementary & High School).Next stop was the University of Santo Tomas (the school that brought us together, seeing the Colayco park & the Main building made me reminisce our college days). After praying, we then went to the San Antonio Church. It was there where we met my bf's best buds from High School - Manny & Kid. Then we went to the Loreto church, San Sebastian Church, San Beda, and then San Miguel church. Jhim, my Hon's best friend also met us there and joined the rest of the walk. We then went to the Quiapo church and Sta. Cruz church. After 5hours of walking, we were given an hour to take a break and have lunch.
At 12noon, we started walking again... just 4 churches/stations to go. Whew, it was sooo tiring. I can barely feel my feet. I feel relieved to see the next church, because that would mean I will get a chance to sit at least for 5 minutes.


Despite the heat of the sun and walking a very long distance, I did not feel bored because of the people I am with. They are a group of fun-loving people, who always find something funny in almost anything. Everytime we transfer from 1 station to another, I always could not notice the distance because I am so busy listening to their stories and watching them tease Jp with the things he have done when they were still in High School.
We completed the last 4 churches - San Agustin Church, Manila Cathedral, Binondo Church and San Jose de Trozo Church.
This is how we looked after completing the 14th station:



Till next year... :) |